Understanding the Effects of Indoor Mold Infestation

Posted on Aug 15 2017 - 1:00am

Black mold buildup in the corner of an old houseMold and mildew can affect anyone in the building. If you detect a musty smell in your home or office, you are probably exposed to mold. Seeing the growth is just a confirmation of the severity of the matter at hand. The health effects of mold exposure vary greatly depending on the duration of exposure, location and the person.

It is advisable to take action immediately to protect you and your family’s health. Call the experts in mold removal in Salt Lake City to get a quick and reliable solution to your problem.

What are the effects?

Molds produce large amounts of allergens called spores. They can affect your health through three mechanisms: allergy or irritation, infection, and toxicity, as documented in many studies. Indoor mold can attack various systems, including the immune system, the respiratory system, the central nervous system, and the reproductive system.

Symptoms of exposure

You will know the likelihood of mold exposure from the following symptoms:

•    Upper respiratory tract infections
•    Skin and eye irritation
•    Chest heaviness
•    Sinus and nasal congestion
•    Asthma
•    Breathing difficulty

It is important to note that long-term exposure to mold can lead to symptoms that are more serious, such as pulmonary fibrosis, gastrointestinal conditions, and pulmonary injury. Mold removal can help prevent these problems through timely and professional intervention.

Vulnerability to the Condition

Long-term exposure to these organisms will certainly affect anyone, but certain groups of people endure the most of it. These include elderly people, children or infants, and those with allergic reactions.

READ  The Most Common Garage Door Styles and Types

Where Mold Lurks

Mold growth is a result of excess moisture. Rain seeping, leaking pipes, and leaking containers could make your home damp. For a newly built structure, dampness is probably due to water that is still yet to dry out. Being microscopic, mold may be difficult to spot unless it forms a cluster. Some un-clustered ones may even hover in the air.

Do not allow the mold problem in your property get out of control. Contact an experienced mold removal company as soon as you notice any sign of mold growth or infestation.